Saturday, July 23, 2011

3 weeks

So here's the rundown: Drew is currently at the Great Wall right as we speak. Jealous? Yeah, me too. He's a little halfway through his language program, and he'll be home in 3 weeks. For the past month or so, we subleased our 2nd bedroom to a professor who was here for a seminar or something like that, and he left yesterday. So I have the place to myself for the next 3 weeks.

I spent some time in the garden today. One of the tomato plants is not doing well and I have no idea what's wrong with it. And I haven't been that concerned with trying to figure it out either. Until today, all I'd done about it was call my dad, and describe to him the state of my plant while standing out at the garden (he's like my personal garden adviser. I call him with a problem, and if he doesn't know the answer, he calls someone else and calls me back. I'm spoiled). The leaves are yellowing and then they eventually turn brown and crunchy. One day, I pruned away all the brown and crunchy leaves, but the next day, more leaves turned yellow and brown. It's like the plant is mocking me. Anyway, today I added some compost to the soil because I suspect the plant needs some nutrients. We'll see if that works.

The rest of the garden is looking pretty good and green:
There are about half a dozen jalapeno peppers on this plant:
And nearly all 8 of our pepper plants have at least 1 or 2 peppers:


It's pretty cool, but at the same time, it makes me nervous. Pretty soon, we're going to have loads of peppers, and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to eat them fast enough. I plan to roast and can the red peppers, and I guess I'll blanch and freeze the green peppers.

And finally, our cherry tomato plant keeps producing about 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes at a time. I've learned that I need to be more diligent about picking them when they turn red, lest they fall prey to the crows that hang out around the garden. I don't really mind sharing, but I wish they'd at least eat the entire tomato instead of leaving part of it in the garden.

No comments: